A couple of weeks ago, we saw our friends Justin and Jessica married off in Asheville! We are so excited for them and have had the privilege of a front row seat to wedding prep as Jessica stayed with us during the last two months of their engagement. During her stay I gave several sisterly attempts to pass on the cooking knowledge that was bestowed upon me by my friends and family members after I was married and realized all I could cook was Kraft Mac & Cheese! Trying to set Jess up for better success here 🙂
She brought up a great idea that I hadn’t thought about but would have been so helpful to me as a newlywed, or when I’m just feeling burnt out…which brings me to my new series- Monday Meal Plans! Most Mondays I will share with you what I’m planning to make for the week. We all need inspiration whether we’re working with limited knowledge or you just have a sneaking suspicion your hubby is tired of pork chops (that’s real talk at our house!). I will link recipes and have my shopping list organized by recipe in case on of these doesn’t sound up your alley. None of these dishes require any kind of expertise…if I can make it, you can make it!
- Pork Chops with Roasted Broccoli
Ingredients Needed: Paprika, chili powder, garlic salt, red pepper, ground cinnamon, light brown sugar, rosemary, salt, ground black pepper, 4 (1-inch-thick) bone-in, center-cut pork chops (1 chop per person should do if you want to halve the recipe!)
- BPS Tip: The linked recipe calls for brussel sprouts and apples, but I just roasted some broccoli in olive oil with lemon pepper and garlic salt instead since that’s what I had on hand, you can use whatever veggie you purchased for your sides!
- Parmesan & Spinach Gnocchi with Grilled Chicken
- Ingredients Needed: Gnocchi, butter, garlic, flour, milk, fresh spinach, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese
- Better Than Take-out Pad Thai
- Ingredients Needed: Pad thai noodles, eggs, chicken breasts, bean sprouts, cilantro (I always forget this!), green onion, peanuts,soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, canola oil, brown sugar
- BPS Tip: I’m still playing around with this recipe but I use less canola oil and more sriracha for the sauce!
- Chicken Tacos:
- Ingredients Needed: Corn (or flour, if you must 😉 ) tortillas, chicken breasts, onion, fajita seasoning, chips, salsa, onions and pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- BPS Tip: I don’t have a recipe to link for these but grill and slice/dice/shred chicken and top your tacos as you like! Also, I get all of my spices in the hispanic aisle at the grocery store rather than the baking/spices aisle…for some reason it’s much less expensive!
- Honey Chipotle Salmon:
- Fortunately for me, Food Lion already has this pre-seasoned and ready to go! See if your local grocer has any packaged fish. If not, I love to simply bake salmon with parmesan and herbs.
A note on side dishes: I only plan out the main dishes for dinner each week. I purchase ingredients for several “sides” that will work with all of my dinners and cook whatever looks good the night of, so I will list my sides (which are quite repetitive unfortunately) separately, below!
Hericot verts (skinny green beans!)
Sweet potatoes with honey and cinnamon
Spicy corn casserole
Zucchini & Squash
I can’t wait to hear how you feel about the Meal Plan and please let me know if there is any other aspect of my weekly meal plan you’d like to see added!